Twenty Questions: Susan Papps
Welcome to our series of interviews with Barossans, this week we catch up with Susan Papps, Co-proprietor and Winemaker at Yelland & Papps.
1. What would you like to do if you weren’t working in the wine industry?
Love American pickers would start up Aussie Pickers. Would love to go through everyone’s sheds finding some cool stuff..
2. What do you love most about your job and why?
I get to do every part of this business, vineyard, winery, design, sales you name it, love it not pigeon holed into one part of the business. Love driving my tractor.
3. What is the most memorable wine/s you have tried?
Chateau Rayas just love that Grenache, a testament to why I love Grenache..
4. What grape variety or wine style most interests you at the moment?
Grenache, what a variety! soft pretty elegant wines..
5. What are you listening too at the moment?
Triple J, it’s a fixture here at YP..
6. What are you reading at the moment?
Any cook book that’s hanging around, I have young children so I sleep when I can !.
7. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Happy children, happy husband, balance, very simple things bring me happiness.
8. When you’re not working what do you like to do?
Cook, we usually have Sundays as cooking day, get Frank Sinatra on the Record player and all in the kitchen cooking.
9. What is your greatest extravagance?
Eating at amazing restaurants, with 2 kids we so appreciate these moments
10. What is your favourite country/city to visit and why?
New York, lived there for a year, holds very good memories and an amazing place.
11. What is your favourite dish to cook?
Anything with our own lamb, god it tastes amazing.
12. Which living person do you most admire?
Bit of an Ita Buttrose fan, amazing woman and a female role model.
13. Who are your heroes in real life?
Anyone that puts some fire in my belly and I can learn something from.
14. Which historical or living figure do you most identify with?
My mum , as much as you don’t want to be like your mum sometimes you just are, its scary.
15. If you could be anyone for a day who would it be and why?
Mike Wolfe or Frank from American Pickers.
16. If you could meet anyone in the world dead or alive who would it be and what would you say to them?
Frank Sinatra , tell me some stories?
17. If you died and came back as a person or thing, what would it be?
Travelling food writer.
18. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you take with you?
Husband and 2 kids, hopefully I could find some coconuts and spear some fish to survive.
19. What makes the Barossa special to you?
Gave me the opportunity to do what I love doing, make wine and jobs in the past to realise this is the what I love..
20. What is your motto?
Do what you love and you never work a day in your life.